The majority of travelers prefer to obtain a visa on arrival. I’ve received letters from readers who want to know if they may get a visa on arrival in Ghana. So Mrpocu.com decided to put this guide together in order to assist lessen the number of emails I receive on this topic each week.
How can you get a Ghana entrance visa or a visa on arrival to Ghana? An entry visa is a document provided by the Ghana Immigration Service to foreigners who desire to enter or transit Ghana’s territory. Emergency Entry Visas are normally issued upon arrival and are good for 30 days. A visa on arrival can be obtained by submitting an application to the Ghana Immigration Service’s Comptroller-General (GIS). The application must be submitted on behalf of the visiting foreign citizen by the host person or company in Ghana.
All visitors to Ghana must have a valid passport or official travel document proving their identification. The Government of Ghana recognizes travel documents such as Laisser-Passers and other travel documents issued by governments or international organizations.
Ghana Travel Restrictions
Ghana is open to most travelers again. I mean travelers from all over the world. However, you do need proof of your COVID-19 vaccination(s) or a negative test result before being allowed entry.
Many hotels, attractions, and private tours are open with new health & safety protocols in place, and you still have to follow certain guidelines. They are all good for our safety.
Read the ultimate travel guide to Ghana to help you plan your trip.
What is a Visa On Arrival
Visa on arrival means that travelers will need to obtain a visa in order to enter the destination country, but they will be able to do so after they arrive. Visitors do not required to apply for a visa ahead of time. The term “visa required” refers to the requirement for travelers to apply for a visa to the country before traveling there.
How To Obtain Visa on Arrival Ghana
Citizens of African Union (excluding Morocco) member states who are not visa free can obtain a 30-day maximum visa for Ghana upon arrival for a charge of $150 beginning July 1, 2016. The arrangement would be tested for three months at Accra’s Kotoka International Airport before being expanded to all other country entrance ports.
Citizens of nations without a diplomatic or consular mission in Ghana who are traveling on short notice may acquire a visa on arrival if certain conditions are met.
Holders with a copy of a pre-arranged approval from immigration are granted a visa on arrival.
All travelers to Ghana will be able to obtain a visa on arrival during December 2019 and January 2020 as part of Ghana’s Year of Return.
In order to streamline the process of issuing Emergency Entry visas, the Ghana Immigration Service (GIS) has established the following rules in accordance with regulation 4 of the Immigration Regulations 2001, LI 1691:
- Emergency entry visas are processed within seven (7) working days of submission of applications.
- A visa application letter must be submitted to the Ghana Immigration Service headquarters in Accra. The following details about the guest or applicant must be highlighted in the application letter:
- Country of origin
- Date of arrival
- Duration of Stay
- Purpose of visit (detailed)
- Address of lodging
- Address abroad
- Occupation or profession
- Telephone number – abroad
- Email address
3. The following documents are to be attached to the visa application letter;
- Certificate to commence business
- Certificate of incorporation
- Company’s regulations
- Tax clearance certificate
- Audited accounts (where company has been in existence for 5 years and above)
- Bank statement (where the host is an individual)
- Copy of residence permit (where the host is non-Ghanaian)
- Bio-data page of passport of the applicant
- Bio-data page of passport or copy of the identity card of signatory of the application letter
- All letters to the GIS must be addressed to the Comptroller-General, Ghana Immigration Service, Headquarters, Accra.
- Travel ticket
- Proof of stay whiles in Ghana (if hotel)
Things To Know When Visiting Ghana with Visa on Arrival
The applicant must be proceeding from a country where;
- Ghana has no diplomatic mission or consulate
- Ghana has a representative but the entry into Ghana is being sought for an emergency assignment or
- The distance between the place of abode of the applicant and the Ghana Consulate office is such that the impromptu nature of the applicant’s journey cannot make it possible for the applicants to travel to the office of a visa.
- The applicant is proceeding to Ghana at a short notice for business transactions.
The Ghana Immigration Service may undertake inquiries or require the provision of additional evidence to satisfy itself of the truth of assertions made in the application, in accordance with section 6 of the Immigration Act 2000, Act 573.
Countries Exempted From Visa On Arrival fees
Ghana Immigration Service exempts citizens from the under listed countries from visa on arrival;
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Eswatini (Swaziland)
How To Avoid Delay For Visa On Arrival Ghana
From our experience, the fastest way for you to obtain a visa on arrival or emergency entry visa without delay is to;
- Proper documentation
- Attach all relevant documents
- Highlight all necessary information in the application letter
- Submit your application on time
What You Should Know About Ghana Visa
Except for ECOWAS citizens and nationals of Kenya, Singapore, Egypt, and Trinidad & Tobago, all visitors to Ghana require a Visa or Entry Permit.
Nationals of the under listed countries are entitled to Gratis visas issued at Ghana Foreign Mission Abroad;
- Malawi, Lesotho, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Uganda and Swaziland.
- Holders of Diplomatic or Service passport of Germany, Cuba, Iran, Brazil and Hong Kong.
- Holders of official passport of AU, UN and specialized Agencies like The World Bank, African Development Bank, IMF and WFP.
How long does visa on arrival take in Ghana
Emergency entry visas are processed within seven (7) working days of submission of applications. It is best to submit the right document to avoid delay. And don’t pay any extra money to any one to get the process done early.