For international students, the Confucius Institute Scholarship 2023–2024 is a fully financed scholarship. More than 150 Chinese universities are offering this grant to students interested in studying the Chinese language and culture. The CIS scholarship includes tuition, housing costs, health insurance, and a monthly personal spending allowance.
The demand for these scholarships is high among students all across the world. The mission of the Confucius Institute, a government organization, is to advance understanding of Chinese culture and language worldwide. Scholarships from the Confucius Institute are available for a variety of PhD programs, research stays, attendance at conferences abroad, and Chinese language and culture classes.
Confucius Institute Scholarship 2023 Benefits
Confucius Institute scholarship includes tuition and lodging fees (in a university residence, in a room shared with another person), basic medical insurance and a monthly allowance for personal expenses, divided as follows:
- 2,500 Yuan per month for BTCSOL students or Chinese language and culture course (about 350 USD / month).
- 3,000 Yuan per month for MTCSOL students (equivalent to about 420 USD / month).
It has recently been discussed if scholarship recipients might opt to live off-campus rather than accept housing in the university home. The Confucius Institute provides 700 Yuan per month (on top of the monthly payment) in these circumstances to help with housing costs.
For scholarships lasting longer than a year, the Confucius Institute yearly evaluates the credentials attained by the recipients, and it demands exceptional performance to renew the complete financing for the following year. The Confucius Institute does not renew the scholarship or, in some situations, offers just half financing if the student’s performance is below average (which covers all expenses except the monthly allowance for personal expenses). The Confucius Institute will also pay the costs of your international flight to and from China, depending on your place of origin.
Categories and Duration of the Confucius Institute Scholarship
Scholarships for the study of the Chinese language and culture. There are three types:
- Scholarships for an academic year: They are a total of 11 months that can start in September (until July of the following year) or in March (until January of the following year).
- Scholarships for an academic semester: The actual duration of the scholarship is 5 months. It can be the semester that goes from September to January (winter) or the one that goes from March to July (summer).
- Scholarships to study four weeks: One-month courses are taught during the winter holidays in China (December-January) or during the summer holidays (July-August).
Scholarships for future teachers of Chinese. There are three modalities:
- Scholarship to study the Master in Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language (MTCSOL): It lasts 2 academic years.
- Scholarship of one academic year of Chinese language and culture + 2 years of MTCSOL: In total there are 3 academic courses.
- Scholarship to study the bachelor in Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language (BTCSOL): It has a duration of 4 academic courses.
The three CIS scholarships to train Chinese language teachers usually start in September or March. The application for these scholarships must be made online. During the process, the system will offer you the possibility of choosing, in order of priority, two universities from the 150 universities that offer this scholarship throughout the country. Take a look at the universities which offer Confucius Institute Scholarship (register first to access all the information, which is in Chinese and English) and find the course of your choice (not all universities offer all the modalities mentioned above).
How to Apply for Confucius Institute Scholarship 2023
To apply for Confucius Institute Scholarship, please follow the following procedure:
- Application deadline: Until the beginning of May (usually day 1) if you want to apply for a scholarship to start in September, and until the beginning of November if you want to start in March.
- Delivery of applications: If you are a student of the Confucius Institute (ideal to apply for this scholarship), contact the in charge person of the scholarships. The application must be made online in the official page of the Confucius Institute scholarships (you need to have all the documents scanned, including your passport and a passport size photo).
- Then you must submit all the required paper documents (preferably certified copies, since they will not be returned). The in charge person of the scholarships of your Confucius Institute will be responsible for sending them by post to the headquarters of Hanban (central offices of the Confucius Institute in China). If you are not a student of the Confucius Institute, you can apply online and submit the documents to the nearest Confucius Institute, to a Chinese embassy or consulate in your country, or to some exam centers or educational institutions in your country that are linked with Hanban.
- Result date : The final result of the scholarship students can be found on the official page of the Confucius Institute scholarships at the beginning of July (if you are going to start in September) or at the beginning of January (if you start in March).
- Sending documents to process the visa: The necessary documents to process the visa are sent by postal mail within 15 days after the publication of the result. At this point of the procedure I recommend patience, since you may have to wait more than a month to receive the letter.
Eligibility Requirements for Confucius Institute Scholarship 2023
Following are the documents and eligibility requirements for Confucius Institute Scholarship:
- Not have a Chinese nationality and enjoy good health. If you are going to study for a period longer than six months, you need to prove that you are in good physical and mental condition to process your residence permit in China. For this, you will have to deliver, once at your destination university (it is not a required document during the application period), a duly completed copy of the official Chinese medical form or Foreigner Physical Examination Form.
- Applicants must be between the ages of 16 and 35 (it is extended up to 45 years for people who demonstrate that they are working as Chinese teachers at the time of applying for the scholarship). Applicants for undergraduate scholarships cannot exceed 20 years of age.
- It is essential to have a degree of Chinese language level (written and oral HSK and, in some cases, BCT and oral BCT are also accepted). This requirement is according to the type of scholarship. For example, for the scholarship to study an academic course of Chinese language and culture you need to have a minimum of 180 points in the written HSK3 and a minimum of 60 points in the oral HSK. To check the complete language requirements, click here.
- Minimum qualification: Regarding the MTCSOL scholarship, it is necessary to deliver the diploma and the academic record of undergraduate studies. In the case of the BTCSOL scholarship or the Chinese language courses, you must prove that you have completed your high school studies. If you do not have this documentation in English or Chinese, you will have to submit a sworn translation to either of the two languages.
- A letter of recommendation in the case of scholarship applicants who want to study a Chinese course or to study BTCSOL, and two in the case of MTCSOL scholarship applicants. The letters must be signed by the in charge person of the Confucius Institute through which you apply for the scholarship.
- In the case of the MTCSOL scholarship, those applicants who demonstrate that they have a job as Chinese Language professors after completing the master’s degree studies in China will be preferred.
- In the case of one-semester or four-week scholarships, you do not have studied in China before.
NOTE : During the online application process, you will be required to write a short motivation letter that details your reasons and expectations before the scholarship (about 300 words).